I was browsing through the official email of my workplace (with thousands of members), and suddenly bumped into a mail that announced the demise of a young girl aged 17, a daughter of the Dean for Faculty of Art and Design, UiTM. Innalillahi wainna ilaihi rajiun. The cause of death is declared as SEPSIS.
What is sepsis that causes the death of a 17 year old? To kill my curiosity, I quickly seek an answer from Mr Google which provide me with the following information:
Sepsis is a condition in which the body is fighting a severe infection that has spread via the bloodstream. If a patient becomes "septic," they will likely have low blood pressure leading to poor circulation and lack of perfusion of vital tissues and organs. This condition is termed "shock" and is sometimes referred to as septic shock, when an infection is the cause of shock. This condition can develop either as a result of the body's own defense system or from toxic substances made by the infecting agent (such as abacteria, virus, or fungus).
Sepsis Symptoms and Signs
- If a person has sepsis, they often will have fever. Sometimes, though, the body temperature may be normal or even low.
- The individual may also have chills and severe shaking.
- The heart may be beating very fast, and breathing may be rapid. Low blood pressure is often observed in septic patients.
- Confusion, disorientation, and agitation may be seen as well as dizziness and decreased urination.
- Some patients who have sepsis develop a rash on their skin. The rash may be a reddish discoloration or small dark red dots seen throughout the body.
- Those with sepsis may also develop pain in the joints of the wrists, elbows, back, hips, knees, and ankles.
In a laymen term, it is a blood-infection which could lead to death. 17 years old is the age of my eldest, who is currently preparing for her SPM. The loss will surely be missed by the loved ones. But, Allah has decided, those are the only time the family can have her. Even though I do not her, i wish and pray may Allah place her together among the muttaqin. May Allah accept her good being and forgive any of her wrongdoings. Alfatihah to the late Khairunnasuha Binti Mustapha.